More ArtVaults.
Jacqueline Passmore, Spying on Stars.
As we went down into the vault we were talked at by the volunteer looking after it, she said "its very dark so let your eyes get accustomed to the light, don't want any accidents haha," etc, then proceded to tell us exactly what "it was", slightly annoying being half followed in, like she was a tour guide explaining everything like its some historical artefact, she ended her chattering with, "its really lovely/beautiful isnt it, its so...".whatever, I can't remember, but it was ridiculous. Because of that I found it hard to see anything other than what "it was". Yet I still thought it was good. The mediums, (light, glass, water, film projection) worked extremely well, and created an eerie calming effect. Also when I got home I did some research into Amelia Earhart, whom the piece is 'about' and in the words of the volunteer, the artists idol. Perhaps this is something the artist had in mind, spread some knowledge, or perhaps you're supposed to know, or perhaps if you know of Earhart, after watching the piece for long enough you start to think of her story.
Kevin Harper, Chamber of Dreams
Really enjoyed this piece. From the small description of it on the map, it sounded uninteresting, but in reality it was my favorite vault. The only annoying thing is that Jez got his in and I didn't, and he kept going on about it, though he told me what he wished for, so perhaps that makes it invalid(?). Also on the bottom of the paper it said 'All wishes will be recycled' which I thought meant they were going in a recycling bin, which was a bit annoying, like the artist wrote that in case people complain about the waste of trees or something, but maybe it means all the paper will be used in the artwork. Dunno, it also said it was being filmed, which is a different form of interacting with artwork. I also thought, maybe some of the screwed up pieces of paper and aeroplanes had just been put there to make it look like more people had done it. Dunno. Very much liked it.
James Maher
Did nothing for me, just made me think of 2001 a space odyssey. DULL
Kate Grenyer, Hide
Interesting piece, everyone probably comes away from it thinking about the thing within the work they liked best. Creating, if not a false environment, then at least a false atmosphere. There was a pen on the wall next to the 'bird spotters poster' but I didn't know if you were allowed to write on it or tick any off.
Lizzie Jones, We Beneath
Smallest of all the vaults, in fact not really a vault. Walked straight past the main piece, down the steps and round the corner and there was a (giant) little boy. Fairly odd, didn't quite know if it was a piece, also because there wasn't a volunteer at the top of the stairs, didn't really know if we were supposed to be there. Walking back to the stairs, properly looked through the bars in on the giant people, at first it didn't really interest me, but the longer I looked the more I liked it. Most of the faces look familiar, in fact Jez was adamant the one of them was a bloke he used to work with. The longer I looked the creepier it became, it felt very cold and desolate down in the allyway (especially as it was such a hot day). I was glad the bars were there, it felt as though you were slightly protected from the miserable giants. When I read about the work its apparantly supposed to be like they've been locked up there and "leaves the viewer asking questions about imprisonment and freedom. I didn't see the bars as though they were keeping the figures hostage, I thought the bars were protecting me. Though perhaps its the same thing, they're being kept there for my protection?? It also said stuff about the brush strokes, but I don't know enough about painting. Just made me feel uncomfortable. Very good!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home